Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I Know What My Problem Is Here

I've been having problems with the editing for the Dresden Files Fic o'Doom. It's just not working as well as I wanted it to. But I've just realized what the problem is. Marcone and Harry are too freaking *nice* in my fic. I'm listening to the books in the car and just finished Death Masks on my reread and I've realized that Harry and Marcone are not 'nice' people. They're just not.

See: Harry and Marcone both agreeing that shooting Nicodemus in the back and letting Michael hack him to bits afterward is the best idea. And then actually following through and shooting him in the back when the opportunity presents.

Hell, see Harry torturing Cassius for the information they needed.

Harry's a good guy but that doesn't make him 'nice'. In many ways Harry's only the good guy in comparison to the bad guys. Same with Marcone. I just need to keep that in mind when I'm reworking the fic. Don't shy away from a path just because it's kind of dark and people may not come out the other end the way they started.

What brought the realization on, you may ask? A combination of the reread and then this quote caught my eye yet again:

'Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.' 

And I thought: Marcone's just a guy who has hoisted the flag and started slitting throats. Because the alternative was even worse.

In addition, I am thoroughly convinced that Marcone is ex-military of some black-ops-y flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...