Friday, July 9, 2010

'Church' to Protest ComiCon for 'idol worship'

And the WBC nutbars strike again...

"The Topeka, Kansas-based Westboro Baptist Church, which is headed by Fred Phelps and which has made headlines over the past few years for a series of protests of events such as the funerals of Meet the Press host Tim Russert (because of his Catholicism and what they termed his "tolerance of homosexuality") and Jerry Falwell (whom they termed a "false prophet') and perhaps most notably the funerals of American servicemen killed overseas, have announced that they plan to picket the upcoming San Diego Comic-Con from 1:15 pm to 2 p.m. on Thursday, July 22.

The reason they're going to protest the con? We think it's best described in their own words, as posted on their website: "Are you kidding?! If these people would spend even some of the energy that they spend on these comic books, reading the Bible, well no high hopes here. They have turned comic book characters into idols, and worship them they do! Isaiah 2:8 Their land also is full of idols; they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made: 9 And the mean man boweth down, and the great man humbleth himself: therefore forgive them not. It is time to put away the silly vanities and turn to God like you mean it. The destruction of this nation is imminent - so start calling on Batman and Superman now, see if they can pull you from the mess that you have created with all your silly idolatry.""


*clears throat*

AH HAHAHAAHAAAAAAAAAAAA...

Oh, God, I wish I was going to ComiCon this year. Please, please, *someone* gets pictures of these yahoos threatening some biker dressed as a Klingon! *giggle*

Morons.

So sad. Crazy little brainwashed cult giving Christians everywhere a bad name, and making idiots of themselves. I can't even take them seriously enough to get pissed off at them anymore. What a joke.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go watch some animated comics (Under the Red Hood previews, ftw!) and, um, *not* idol worship the make believe people on my tv, m'kay?

ps: why yes, my header *is* now a comic panel. It's in honor of ComiCon, which doesn't actually start until the end of the month, but whatever. :)

8 comments:

  1. O_o Um....I mean I'm sure there are some fans who worship comics. I wouldn't be surprised if there was like a Church of the Blessed Batman but still not all of us are crazy.

    What these people must think of us cosplayers. lol

    I wanna go to ComicCon...I think its the last year in San Diego :(.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy LOL!! This is beyond stupid.

    What would they say if we held a BibleCon and dressed as bible characters? Would we then be worshipping the bible??

    ReplyDelete
  3. LK,

    'Church of the Blessed Batman'

    *choke* Man, I almost sprayed my oj at that one! *lol* If anyone is going to have a church, I suspect it would be Superman rather than Batman. The Church of Batman would be rather more um...dark. And all about vengeance and repentance. Supes has the golden messiah thing going on. :)

    I suspect cosplayers are spawns of the devil, to them. But then again, pretty much everyone who is not them is the spawn of the devil, so we're at least in good company! :)

    *pout* I sort of remember hearing that too. Just to feed into the ComiCon as idolatry idea, it's like geek Mecca! I'm fairly certain it's every geeks obligation to attend at least one ComiCon in their life. One day....one day....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle,

    My reaction *exactly*. We actually get 'press releases' from these people at the paper since they came into town once, and I take great joy in shredding them and chortling as I do it.

    *grin* Yeah, I think if held a BibleCon, they'd find *something* evil and wrong with it. After all, we're not one of them, and therefore everything that we do is evil and corrupt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes we are indeed required to make at least 1 pilgrimage to the blessed SDCC at least once in our lifetime. Not going to be the same when its not in San Diego :( I still haven't gone myself. One day One day

    ReplyDelete
  6. What weirdos! I'm glad you can just laugh at their stupidity. Really, I think they do this all for attention. Ohhhhh, they've made attention their idol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LK,

    Neither have I. It makes me sad. *pout*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susanne,

    They do, partially, I think. But really, mostly I think that they're just all brainwashed and angry at everything. I saw a BBC documentary on them once, and it was creepy and sad. And I'm fairly certain I'd actually assault them if I ever ran into them, because I just don't have that great a control on my temper when faced with such abject hatred and stupidity in person.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...