Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Psalm '6:5'

Susanne, we're up to the Psalms, so you can play along on your own for this one. Um...because it's my game, and I get to change the rules, I've decided to post the entire Psalm 6. Feel free to do all of Psalm 4, or just the last verse, whatever you feel like. :)

Also, I am working on a post on the last book I read, Popes and Patriarchs, but I'm having trouble deciding what to include. But it's coming, I promise!

1. For the End; in hymns, concerning the eighth; a psalm by David.

2. O Lord, do not reprove me in Your anger,
Nor discipline me in Your wrath.

3. Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am weak;
Heal me, O Lord, for my bones are troubled;

4. And my soul is greatly troubled;
But You, O Lord, how long?

5. Return, O Lord, and deliver my soul.
Save me because of Your mercy.

6. For there is no remembrance of You in death;
And in Hades who will give thanks to You?

7. I am weary with my groaning;
Every single night I will dampen my bed;
I will drench my couch with my tears.

8. My eye is troubled by anger;
I grow old among all my enemies.

9. Depart from me, all you workers of lawlessness;
For the Lord heard the voice of my weeping;

10. The Lord heard my supplication;
The Lord received my prayer.

11. Let all my enemies be ashamed and greatly troubled;
Let them turn back and be suddenly ashamed.

~~~
Notes:
Ps 6 teaches the Church the spirit of humility the faithful should have when they pray, "Lord, have mercy," for this petition is repeated again and again in the services of worship. This spirit of humility is characterized by (1) a request for mercy, rather than a stern reproof and discipline because of our sins (v.1); (2) a recognition of the weakness and frailty of our mortal nature (vv.3,4); (3) a request for deliverance and salvation (vv.5,6); (4) a contrite spirit, characterized by tears and the need for help with respect to sinful passions (vv.7,8); and (5) a firm stand against the fallen angels and the Lord's needed help in this warfare (vv.9-11)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love your chapter and the notes! They remind me of the posts I did 2 or 3 weeks ago on Leviticus and the need for the Law (show us our sin and need for mercy and all that).

    Here is mine:

    Psalm 4

    1 Answer me when I call to you,
    O my righteous God.
    Give me relief from my distress;
    be merciful to me and hear my prayer.

    2 How long, O men, will you turn my glory into shame [a] ?
    How long will you love delusions and seek false gods [b] ?
    Selah

    3 Know that the LORD has set apart the godly for himself;
    the LORD will hear when I call to him.

    4 In your anger do not sin;
    when you are on your beds,
    search your hearts and be silent.
    Selah

    5 Offer right sacrifices
    and trust in the LORD.

    6 Many are asking, "Who can show us any good?"
    Let the light of your face shine upon us, O LORD.

    7 You have filled my heart with greater joy
    than when their grain and new wine abound.

    8 I will lie down and sleep in peace,
    for you alone, O LORD,
    make me dwell in safety.


    Eager to read about the book when you finally figure out what to share. Do it in two parts if you wish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *nods* Me too. I really love the psalms. :)

    Are you reading my mind again? I decided last night I was going to have to split it into two posts. Get out of my brain! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...