Monday, November 8, 2010

Movie: Inside Man

We now bring you a small break from the constant stream of Dresden. :)

I saw this movie when in came out back in 2006 and I loved it. And then I promptly forgot about it. That doesn't usually happen to me, but it did with this one. Well, AMC played it this past weekend, and I dvr'd it. And fell in love all over again. It's just an awesome heist movie. It really, really is.

"My name is Dalton Russell. Pay strict attention to what I say because I choose my words carefully and never repeat myself. I have told you my name, and that's the who. The where can most readily be described as a prison cell. But there's a vast difference between being stuck in a tiny cell and being imprisoned. The what is easy. Recently, I planned and set in motion events to execute the perfect bank robbery. That's also the when. As for the why, beyond the obvious financial motivation, it's exceedingly simple. Because I can. Which leaves us only with the how. And therein, as the Bard would tell us, lies the rub."

Here's what makes it such an awesome movie, at least for me. Dalton Russell, the mastermind? Is really freaking smart. When he thinks that he's the smartest guy in the room? It's because he is. He's clever. He's a great bad guy. No unnecessary slaughter, no megalomaniacal plots, nothing. Just plain, simple, brute force where necessary, stall tactics and planning. He's brilliant and even if his ultimate goal wasn't actually a good one, I would root for him. Because he's just that much more clever than anyone who's working against him.

He and his team take over a bank in the middle of the day. Supposedly to rob it, but really they're there for one specific safety deposit box. One that's not on the banks register. It belongs to the owner of the bank and contains some very nasty secrets. Which, okay. If you've got a skeleton as big as this guy had in your closet and you don't destroy the evidence? You deserve to be caught with your pants around your ankles. Dalton would never be so dumb!

It's a lovely, excellently plotted movie and the fact that it has Clive Owen, Denzel Washington and Jodie Foster in it? Icing on the cake. Because I love all three of them madly. Even the music is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...