*Tobit's Blindness Is Healed*
1. He traveled until they approached Nineveh. Here Raphael said to Tobias,+ 2. "My brother, are you not aware of how you left your father? 3. Let us run ahead of your wife and prepare the house. 4. Take the gall of the fish in your hand." So they proceeded, and the dog followed behind them.
5. Meanwhile Anna sat gazing upon the road for her boy. 6. She perceived that he was coming and said to the father, "Behold, your son is coming, and the man traveling with him!"
7. Raphael said, "I know that the eyes of your father will open. 8. Rub the gall on his eyes. When the eyes sting, he will rub them and cause the white film to fall away. He will then see you."
9. Then Anna ran up to her son and fell upon his neck and said to him, "I have seen you, my child. From this day, I am now ready to die!" So they both wept. 10. Then Tobit came out of the door. He stumbled, but his son ran up to him. 11. He took hold of his father and dabbed the gall on the eyes of his father, saying, "Father, take courage!"+ 12. Then as his eyes stung, he rubbed them, and the white films peeled off from the corners of his eyes. 13. When he saw his son, he fell upon his neck, weeping, and said, 14. "Blessed are You, O God, and blessed is Your name unto the ages. Blessed are all Your holy angels, for You scourged me but had mercy on me. Behold, I see Tobias my son." 15. His son went in rejoicing and told his father the great things that had happened to him in Media.
16. Then Tobit rejoiced and blessed God as he went to meet his daughter-in-law at the gate of Nineveh. But those who saw him as he walked along were amazed that he could see. Tobit gave thanks before them, because God had mercy on him.+ 17. Then as Tobit drew near to meet Sarah, his daughter-in-law, he blessed her, saying, "May you be in good health, my daughter! Blessed is God who brought you to us, and blessed are your father and your mother!"
18. So there was rejoicing among all his brethren in Nineveh. 19. Even Ahikar and his nephew Nadab came, for the wedding feast for Tobias was kept with gladness for seven days.
+11:1-3 - Raphael and Tobias decide to leave Sarah at the city gate of Nineveh (see 11:16) and run ahead to meet the worried parents.
+11:11, 12 - Following Raphael's instructions (11:7), Tobias dabbed the gall on the eyes of his father. Tobit was healed of his blindness.
+11:16, 17 - Tobit did four things en route to the gate of Nineveh which are instructive for all fathers, and for all believers: (1) he rejoiced, as St. Paul so often encouraged the Philippians to do; (2) he blessed God for his son's new bride; (3) he publicly gave thanks for his restored eyesight; and (4) he blessed his family. God loves a grateful servant.